June 11, 2008

Residential Mentor Training

It's been only the third day of training and I'm having lots of fun!

1st day:
The night before moving into Futrall Hall, I was busy packing all night, well..at least I was trying to pack while my friend did most of it.. =p Anyways, I moved in on Monday morning [Thanks to Megan and her brother for helping!!! Love ya, Megan..], kinda clean the room a little, made the bed, kinda sort my stuff around the room without unpacking. Then, all the mentors were required to be at the classroom to meet all the staff and mentors. It was kinda awkward at first since I did not know anyone. I started learning names and stuff but still, I can't seem to get a common topic with anyone in the room. Everyone else were talking about tv shows, politics and stuff but obviously, I'm not very good at any of these topics..So, it was just listening and observing for me. *sigh* So, anyways, I got to know some people better as the day passes by. Talked to some, learned everyone else's name..It was a long day since I did not have enough sleep the previous night! So much for slacking for 2 weeks before that..hehe..anyways, we had a talk about child abuse and stuff..had dinner at Penguin's Ed..It was really good! =)

Day 2
Went for a rope course! It was fun and very very very tiring! hehe..ok, so, first, we played games with ropes like getting tangled and untangling, making knots etc. Then, we moved to the low-course where we had to walk on a rope as a team to get to the other side without our feet touching the ground..hehe..it's way harder than you may think. So, we have 5 person on our group, 3 guys and 2 girls. Anyways, our strategy was those with longer arms to go first. So, one guy at the beginning and one at the very end. Then, 2 with long hands have to hold me since I have the shortest arm! (again! hehe) Anyways, at one point, it felt like my arm was being stretched beyond my capability..at the end, we made it across but it felt like my arm was stretched a couple of inches longer already..hehe..no matter what, it was fun!! Then, we moved on to couple of games before our high course. We were like 33ft above the ground, standing on logs with a partner, holding each other's shoulder and walking up the log..we had to depend so much on the other person and trusting the other that they will not let go of you. It was scary, I tell you! I got up there, stepped up on the log with Mirey and started to take couple of steps. Then, I started to feel a little wobbly and scary..I realized I was shivering from the height and luckily for me, Mirey wasn't afraid of heights. She had my back the entire time, encouraging me and distracting me by chatting [what else, rite?!? *winks*] It was just nice to have her help me, and I learned to trust others better. After the logs, we came to a platform where we had to switch our safety rope to another to walk on a wire, holding another wire above us, individually. Since I was scared, I went first and my friends were just encouraging in some ways. It was comforting in some ways. I also realized that it was way harder to do it as a team instead of individual!Then, after all these, we had more games, stayed longer than planned and missed dinner at Quads...then went to tutor malay, ate junk food and cookies, and sleep..hungry... but overall, the rope course was fun and exciting and tiring! hehe..I'm sure canoing on Friday is gonna be worse for me..lol..

Day 3:
We had a campus tour this morning, getting to know where classes will be and stuff..more talks..got to know everyone better..hehe..can chat chat and just be casual..it was fun! Oh..we decorated our floor too! --Under the Sea-- That's our floor theme..then, it was dinner at Catfish's Hole was awesome as well..The food was really really good..


**my door**

Training has been fun these few days. Got to know the mentors better and we're getting along just fine!Oh, btw, did I mention that rooms around my side of the hall is empty? 'lonely...i'm so lonely..." [song] hehe..

No comments: