September 11, 2010

Day Trip to Praire Grove


Today was different..I spent my day at a couple's new house today. Jaci and Michael were building their house from scratch, every plank cut and trim, every dirt poured, every single detail were personally done by the couple. It was amazing, how much effort and details went into the planning. When we got there, we were greeted by the dogs (surprise, surprise...more dogs...) I'm just not a big fan of overly excited/hyper dogs.. Anyways, they were so hospitable and friendly..i enjoyed my time. I learnt so much about animals, building a house, designing your house, nature and a bit of nature stuff..i hate never got so close to nature and animals as i did today. =)


I got to see 100s of hummingbirds up close. Did you know they hum and make sounds as they eat from the feeder..and they can fly backwards or stay at the same spot for some time? They fly at more than 34 mph..fast huh? I was enjoying the sight until one of it flew right into the glass door and fainted..it was so scary! I thought it broke its neck and died..luckily, it was alright. Jaci took it inside the house and it started gaining consciousness again..she brought it out for us to look up close and said it would come around in couple minutes..so i thought it'll be a great idea to lean in and admire the bird up close and personal..but that little thing flew right at my face and went back out to the feeder..i was so surprised when that happened that I flinched and spilled my drink all over me.. ^_^" (anyone who knows me knows this is NOT highly unusual..haha..) i felt so bad..oh, and they put away the dogs for me too..they brought them out one by one, well, not the big ones to say hi to us..Lucky impressed me the most. It's the sweetest thing ever..

We had a tour of the house and property..found lots of interesting stuff during our short hike..i got hit in the face by a grasshopper which was jumping way too high..didn't get to ride horses though, which was what i was looking forward to but it's ok..basically, i got to be out in nature, without getting allergies..it's an awesome feeling! At least for someone who grew up without animals and much nature..haha..oh, later, we cooked Bak Kut Teh, scramble eggs with tomatoes, stir-fry spicy chicken and rice for dinner for them. It was our treat, of course..I was afraid they would hate the food, but to my surprise, they loved it! =D I was so excited..hehe..after dinner, we played mahjong. Jaci bought the mahjong set from China, so we were learning it..they are really fast-learner and strategist..hehe..shows how much more i need to learn in reading people during the game. All said and done, I had an awesome time. I really appreciate them having me over today..it was quite an experience..although they probably think i'm weird because i never bother about animals or nature much before..haha..

BTW, their house is pretty awesome!!! esp, the kitchen. It's huge and oh, the recess lightings are amazing..and the large island..it's not quite done yet but i love the layout! =D

No comments: