July 15, 2009

The meaning of Death

Death, the end of life. A state where your brain and heart do not function anymore. It is a hard situation to be in, losing someone you love and care about. It's sad and nobody would want it to anyone, no matter what the situation is.

Death has already hit our family twice, within 2 months, within this very summer that I am home. On May 13, 2009 , I lost my dearest grandma who had taken care of me since I was 5. She taught me how to speak chinese and hokkien. She picked up english so she could communicate with us better. She was always there by the door, waiting for us to return from school. If we were even late by 5 min, she panics. Whenever I come back from school, she would be there waiting, with food prepared on the table. All my favorite food too. Even when she was sick with cancer (twice), she still managed to put on a strong face. Maybe she didn't want us to worry about her. When I left to US 2 years ago, she said something that I wished she never said. It has become reality now. She said she would be gone when I come back this summer. But why did she have to leave right before I came home? Just another week or so. Anyway, her last words on the phone when I called was "don't worry about me. I'll be fine. thanks for calling, be good now. study hard. " I remembered her reaction when she first saw me on skype. It was precious..haha..she never knew she could see me within the 2 years I was away. May 13, while I was on my trip to MA-NY-DC, she passed away. In her sleep. I only knew it on the day before my flight home.

Anyway, exactly 2 months later, my grandaunt (her younger sister) passed away too. It was too sudden. She was always so healthy and kind. I remember the days she always brought us homemade Bak Kut Teh from Klang. It was delicious! They said it was her heart problem and depression. Maybe her heart couldn't take it, I mean the lost of her older sister. Maybe. July 13, 2009. Exactly 2 months! such coincidence huh?

Why? Why does this type of thing keep happening to our family? I wish all these would stop. 2009 has been hard on all of us, esp my mom. I just wish things would be better soon!

No comments: