January 26, 2011

Weekend at the Big Apple

The entire UA Representatives!

You know how some people say "I went to XXX for the weekend!" or " I went to Paris to shop!" Well, now I get to say, I went to New York for the weekend! haha! No, it's not for pleasure or because I'm rich..but it's for the Danone TRUST Challenge 2011. Expenses were covered and lodging provided, making the trip almost free. UA sent 4 teams, total of 20 students, for the competition. The challenge was to run a business simulation, making business plans for the company for the next 3 years, making choices as executives and forecasting P&L. It was similar to what executives face on a daily basis. The challenge lasted a total of 5 hours straight of brainstorming and decision making. What makes it more challenging is working with 4 different strangers as a team. But quickly, we got to know each other and the group dynamics remained positive. The challenge was fun, especially when you see how others work under stress and pressure. For me, the more pressure or stress, the better I work. I actually felt more comfortable in the stressful period than the beginning. Weird, huh? Anyways, I think our team did well and I pray that our team will make it to the finals.

After the challenge, the entire group from UA decided to head down to NYC for the night. So, we went back to the hotel and freshen up before heading out. It was a fun night out, getting to know others and joking around. Being in the city/ Times Square made me feel just right back home. The crowd, the traffic, bad driving, sirens, running across the traffic...I felt belonged and safe there than in a small town. (Ok, some of you may be thinking I am a little strange to feel safe with the constant siren blaring off but it definitely made me feel back in KL)..Anyway, I had great Japanese food, great conversations and of course, fun!

A weekend away, great company and challenging competition is just what I needed. This trip further confirms my passion and dream of one day being a corporate executive/ board member. I guess now I can say, I am on the right track! =D

No comments: